ESSENTIAL FOR EVERY AIRSHOW
No airshow or aerial flying demonstration would be complete without bright trails of colored smoke trialing behind aircraft during flybys. Smoke is generated by spraying a highly atomized mist of paraffinic oil and dyes into the hot exhaust of a jet or piston engine aircraft. Effective generation of colored smoke is technically challenging and requires specially designed pumps, nozzles and smoke oil for optimal performance.
COLORED SMOKE OILS
Nova provides custom blends of high performance aerobatic smoke dyes for aviation sport teams and elite air force demonstration squadrons. Novasolve smoke oils are ready to use or can be blended with Novasolve White Smoke Oil for lighter shades.
HOW IS AEROBATIC SMOKE GENERATED?
Novasolve smoke oils are composed of liquid dyes blended in a white smoke oil base. The oil is stored in a small tank and injected through a pump into nozzles positioned at 90-45 degree angle into the exhaust stream of the aircraft. Production of colored smoke requires a combination of heat and airflow for proper generation of the colored gas aerosol. A high pressure pump and flow regulator assembly ensures colored oil is delivered at a consistent pressure to the injection nozzles so that smoke output is consistent during aerobatic maneuvers. This arrangement also ensures flow is uninterrupted during extreme G-forces and independent on engine throttle settings. Nova provides smoke systems and oils developed specifically for piston, turboprop, and jet aircraft. Continue reading to learn more about each specific application and to request a test kit.
SMOKE SYSTEM FOR PISTON AIRCRAFT
I already have a smoke system in my aircraft. Will you colored smoke oils work?
Many piston aircraft today are already fitted with smoke oil systems for creating white smoke from either a branded aviation smoke oil or diesel. In these systems smoke oil is delivered through coarse nozzles in the exhaust pipe very close to the engine manifold. While this arrangement works well for white smoke oil, it does not work with colored oil as it burns up at these high temperatures. For colored smoke the oil must be injected near the exhaust pipe tip through high pressure nozzles. That creates a fine mist that rapidly vaporizes for smoke while preventing the exposure of oil to high temperatures.
Nova provides a complete smoke oil kit for new installs and add on kit for modification of existing smoke oil installations.
COMPLETE KIT FOR PISTON AIRCRAFT
The kit features:
- Lightweight pump and pressure regulator for consistent oil flow during aerobatic maneuvers
- Tank with flop tube - multiple sizes to accomodate different aircraft types
- Sediment filters
- Mounting hardware to install nozzle
- Power: 12 - 36V Input, 150W max
NOZZLE ONLY ADD ON KIT
The kit features:
- Three way valve to direct oil from existing nozzles to smoke nozzles in the exhaust pipe.
- Mounting hardware to install color smoke nozzle
- Using the three way valve you can quickly change over from white smoke oil to colored oil prior to flight
- Your existing oil pump must generate at least 40 PSI at 2 gpm or higher. Please check your pump performance curve to ensure compatibility.
- The standard kit contains a single nozzle for exhaust pipes of up to 3 inch diameter.
- For larger exhaust systems we provide mounting hardware for up to 8 inches exhaust and additional nozzles as custom items.
COMPLETE PACKAGE WITH COLOR SMOKE OIL:
See available choices on the color smoke oil products page.
SMOKE SYSTEM FOR TURBINE AIRCRAFT
In turbine applications the smoke oil is injected thorugh a nozzle several inches aft of the turbine exhaust. The exhaust heat and shear forces work together ot create a fine colored mist in the exhaust. Since turbine aircraft operate at higher airspeeds compared to piston aircraft a high flow, regulated pump assembly is crucial for delivering a consistent smoke output during the entire flight envelope.
Nova provides a complete smoke oil kit for new installs. Check our smoke oil page for the color selection.
COMPLETE KIT FOR JET AIRCRAFT
The kit features:
- High flow pump and pressure regulator for consistent oil flow during aerobatic maneuversSmoke tube on US Blue Angels F18 Aircraft
- Solenoid for positive flow control prevents oils dribble for a clean shut off of smoke
- Aluminum extension boom and titanium nozzle
- Both 12V or 24V versions are available. Please specify for your order
- A tank is not included in this kit since most jet aircraft use internally modified tanks.
- The extension boom and nozzle are provided as partially assembled sections. They need to be cut and welded together to form a functional spray wand sized to your specific aircraft. The aluminum extension boom can be bent and shaped to fit around the contour of the engine. Retention clips are provided to fasten the boom to the aircraft frame.
TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF NOVASOLVE SMOKE OILS
|Viscosity at 40 oC||18-22 cSt|
|Flash Point||> 120 oC|
|High Density Polystyrene||Good|